Monday 21 May 2018

Wish Upon a Star

 



     Welcome to my stop on the Wish Upon a Star Blog Hop!  The hop is hosted by Carol, who blogs at Just Let Me Quilt.
There are over 40 participants in the hop which takes place over 5 days.  Here are the others who are participating today.  I'll list the rest of the quilters at the bottom of the post.

May 21


       I finally get to show you what I have been working on these past few weeks.  I finished Rory's quilt!  And look, the sun came out for long enough that I could get a decent photo outside.





      Rory is the son of my co-worker Tessa and he will be celebrating his first birthday in August. His mom is a fan of neutrals and her house is painted in grey and yellows, so I was a bit surprised when she chose a palette of bright rainbow colours for his quilt. I was happy she chose brights because I love them and I had just the right fabrics in my stash; bright animal prints and bright swheswhe prints. I paired them with Kona Shadow which is grey of course.  Swheswhe is the traditional fabric of South Africa and up until recently it has been available in the traditional colours of indigo, brown and red.  These bright swheswes are just awesome aren't they.

    

     This quilt was a joy to work on from start to finish. I'm not sure what these stars are called but they are made with some rulers which I borrowed from my friend Wendy. She loaned me two sets of rulers. I think these were the easy angles.  



   Most of the quilts I have seen using this block place a plain block between the stars.  I wanted to make a toddler sized quilt finishing around 48" by 60" inches so I opted to place the 12" finished blocks side by side in the rows but staggered by 1/3 of the block.  This gave me more star pizzaz in the quilt.



     The quilting was done with a walking foot on my domestic machine.  I decided to try out random straight lines as I thought they would look like rays of light bouncing around the stars.  I used a light orange auriful thread which is one of my favourites.     

      I love this quilt so much that I'm thinking of asking Tessa if I can put it in the guild show in September and give it to her after that. He's not going to need it until it gets cold is he? Our guild show isn't juried so it doesn't have to be filled with amazing quilting or anything like that. Completing Rory's quilt was my OMG for May and the second finish for the second quarter of the 2018 Finish Along. You can find the original list here.

     I'll leave you with a few more close ups of the critters in the blocks which will give you more close ups of the quilting.





      Here's the complete list of those participating in the blog hop.  I'm excited to see what everyone has made.


May 21

May 22

May 23

May 24

May 25

         It just occurred to me on Thursday that I should link this quilt up to TGIFF which is hosted by my friend Anja at AnjaQuilts this week.  Perhaps I will see you there.

56 comments:

Marly said...

I’ve been thinking about making a quilt with these stars with elongated points, and now I’ve seen your layout I definitely shall. Would you mind if I put a photo on my Pinterest board “quilts” so I can find it again?

Unknown said...

I love how bright and bold your colors are!

Dorian said...

What a fun quilt! So bright and cute, I'm sure they little guy will love it for years to come.

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Oh, your fabrics are adorable! Tessa will be pleased as punch with your gift, no doubt, and so will Rory as he grows into it. :)

Ariane said...

What a super sweet quilt. I love the layout and the colours you used.

Stitchin At Home said...

Love it! The bright shiny stars and I think the quilting is perfect for this quilt.

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Fabulous job on the quilt! I love the color combination.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Love it! Just so very cute

Pamela said...

This is fantastic! How perfect!

Anita said...

Beautiful stars in this colorful quilt! The quilting is perfect for rays streaming from the stars.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Wow the quilt is so colorful, and I love your layout. The quilting is great too. Such a lucky boy to get that quilt.

allthingzsewn said...

While I like the colors and quilting, I'm so glad you did the close ups of the animals. Such a cute quilt.

Danette said...

What a wonderful quilt! Rory will be quite excited to own this!

Carol Swift said...

I have never heard of swheswe fabric, but I'm in love. Those close-up shots of the fabric really showed it off. I love all the stars in this beautiful quilt and off-setting them was perfect! Your quilting is definitely a great way to have finished this quilt. This will be so loved and would be a hit at your guild show for sure. Thank you so much for joining in the hop and being a bright star of inspiration in my day!

Needled Mom said...

That is darling and I am sure the little guy will love it. The quilting is perfect on it too.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

What a lovely quilt! I love how you carefully placed the prints and animals and it has such a happy feeling to it. Congratulations on the finish and big reveal, and I hope you find a happy arrangement to be able to show the quilt.

tink's mom said...

Wonderful little boy quilt. Terrific color choices too. Your quilting performs just as you hoped it would.

Rozz01 said...

I like the staggered stars for eye appeal. The eye-spy part is a nice addition for a youngster.

Kay said...

This is a great quilt for a little boy - bright colors and animals. Bet it'll be well loved.

Bernie Kringel said...

Lisa, what a wonderful quilt!! I love the variety of stars, some with solid centers and some with prints. Also love the movement you gained by offsetting the star blocks. Finally, the quilting itself adds great movement too. Angular just like the stars, it was a really good choice. Well done!!

Suzanne said...

You created a Happy quilt for a little person. I love the colors....they are just perfect.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Stunning!!! Those bright color stars just make this quilt sing. He will love it for sure. Off setting the rows was brilliant.

Vicki in MN said...

Very very cute, I love the animals for the star centers.

Calicojoan said...

Oh my gosh, this one is so stinkin cute! I love all the little critters in it, and the fabulous way you quilted it. Simple is so striking sometimes, and this is a perfect example! Great job and I know it will be loved for years to come!

beaquilter said...

what a great quilt! your star points are perfect! do you have a GO cutter, their die that's a triangle in a square is perfect for star blocks like this!

barbara woods said...

love your stars! Made a great quilt

Sherry said...

That is so cute for a little one! Love your stars.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Lisa,
What a great finish! I love, love the nice bright colors with the gray background. But my absolute favor is your straight line quilting with orange thread!! I think that is just the perfect effect for this quilt - and yes, please enter it into your guild show in September. How cold can it get by then?!! Happy Monday! ~smile~ Roseanne

Janice Holton said...

Lisa, what a perfect boy quilt! Those fabrics are delightful and I love the way you quilted it with random crossed lines. Great star project!!

Nancy J said...

This will last him for many years, the fabrics and the animals are amazing, bright and beautiful.

Wendy said...

You did a marvelous job and I really like your stars ... those are some of my favorite blocks. Wonderful job!

Elana said...

Lovely quilt. Well done and such bright colors!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

It's fabulous Lisa! I would guess you used the TriRecs rulers.
I haven't seen the new bright Shweshwe fabrics yet

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wonderful! Where do you get the swheswhe fabrics? Great finish!

OhioLori said...

Fun & Beautiful all at the same time!! :) I agree with your quilting looking like rays of light bouncing around the stars...

Creativeblonde66 said...

So very cute. And fabulous colours ♥

Anna brown said...

Love the fussy cuting you did very eye-catching I love bright quilts. .happyness04431@yahoo.com

Mary said...

Such a great quilt, Lisa. I love the bright colors, the offset stars, and the random straight line quilting. I’m definitely going to borrow your quilting plan for a future star quilt. Take care, Mary.

Tracie @ Riceford Streams said...

I love your quilt and how you staggered the star blocks.

piecefulwendy said...

This quilt is lovely, Lisa! The fabrics are fabulous, but what I really love is the way your quilted it! It just moves the eye back and forth from one star to another. Nicely done!

Suze said...

The critters are wonderful. Boy, you made me think. You said you offset the blocks by 1/3. When I looked at the picture, I immediately said that it's offset by 1/4 because you ended up adding a row at the top of one "block" and adding a row at the bottom of the other block to make a new block to me. It doesn't matter - it's just funny how people see things differently. I had to really go back to the original block, not the picture, per se. Great job and I really like when a post not only inspires me but also makes me think. Thanks, Susan

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Gorgeous! Love the way you fussy cut the animals... and I love the long points on the stars, it looks great! xx

Kathleen said...

I love this quilt! It is so bright and cherry. The quilting is just perfect too!

LJ said...

I love the bright colors and the addition of the animal prints is perfect.

Kaja said...

I like this a lot! I hadn't seen shwe shwe fabrics in such fantastic colours before but they are gorgeous and I also really like your offset layout for the stars.

Deb M said...

Absolutely love your quilt!!!

Carla said...

Super fun and bright and happy and make me smile!!! Love your stars and the fabrics.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Love it!! I love how you offset the blocks. Great choice for quilting. I hope you do enter it in the quilt show.

Quilt Doodle Designs said...

I love your stars, so wonderful. Love the colors!

Jayne said...

Perfect! I love the stars! The white background lets them shine. And your quilting is exactly what the quilt needed. Like I said...perfect!

Susan said...

Love those shiny, bright stars!!

Kim said...

I love your quilt! The colors pop so beautifully on the white background.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful quilt, bright and sunny!

Patty said...

Beautiful quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Lisa, that is really cute!

Marci Girl said...

Truly a beautiful quilt and congratulations on your finish! Well done! Thanks for linking up on behalf of the 2018 global Finish-A-Long hosts.