Monday 12 February 2018

Kits and Swaps and Quilt Alongs


     I have a virus.  It's kind of a weird one where you feel really sick sometimes and o.k. other times.  I thought I was better on Friday but after a morning pulling together fabrics for bee day kits with some friends I was bushed.  I think I'm getting better again now and I hope it lasts.
     So I have made no progress on my February goal as yet, but I have made some progress on cutting kits when I wasn't lying in bed browsing the internet.  I may have purchased a little too much fabric and I may have also purchased Cheryl and Paige's book of Plus Block patterns...and I may have signed up for a swap and a quilt along.
     O.K.  Well the swap is really easy. It's the quilted postcard swap organized by Patty at Elm Street Quilts and it's just the postcard, nothing else.  She's even given us a tutorial on how to make them.  
     I had been resisting the Postcard from Sweden Quilt Along, but then Sandra told me that Mad About Patchwork was selling kits and my resolve melted away.  Half of my resistance was sourcing all those colours of Kona.  The other half of my resistance is trimming all those half square triangles.   There is no way I'll have all those triangles together by the end of the month so I already know I'll be trailing behind.
     Getting back to the kits, four of which are pictured above.  We are really fortunate in my guild to have inherited a lot of fabric from a former members stash.  We are able to put together really great quilt kits by combining her feature fabrics with other quild stash fabrics and some of our own fabrics to come up with some nice combinations.  I'm really happy to destash some of my fabric into kits for donation quilts.  The kit at the bottom of the photo is all from my fat quarters. Yay!  Out with the old, in with the new.  

13 comments:

9658 Textiles said...

Awwe. sorry to hear you are sick. that is no fun. I like your kit picture and I hope you feel better soon.

Sarah

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Out with the old and in with the new, indeed! I hope you are well and truly over the virus, and hurray for quilt kits. I think the HSTs will trim quicker than you expect given how vibrant and lovely that quilt is!

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

Lisa. hope you feel better and energetic real soon. I already received my Plus book and it is wonderful. It's a good thing you purchased some new fabrics. I have to decide which fabric and pattern; it's a tough decision. BTW, the yellow floral print in your kit, the PBJ print, I just made something with it yesterday for my granddaughter, I used it for her parent's wedding quilt and did it as part of the Scrumptious Scrap QAL hosted by Sarah, Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

Louise said...

Your kits look great! Nice to be able to move out some fabric so there's room for new purchases :)

I'm working on my Postcards from Sweden today. There are soooo many HSTs, but doing one row at a time seems to make it manageable. Plus, it's too easy to lose track of them if I do more than one row. The pattern uses numbers to keep track of the colors, so if you drop a triangle, it takes a while to figure out where it was supposed to go!

I hope your virus goes away soon. Being sick is no fun :(

piecefulwendy said...

I just purchased the Plus book too, and I know what I want to make. I just need to squeeze it in somewhere. Haha! I'm doing Postcards too because I have wanted to make that quilt since the first time I saw it. Hope you are done with that nasty virus!

Anonymous said...

I hope you recover quickly! I too have made zero progress on my February goal. But other things have been moving right along.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Feel better soon. I've been hearing that people are sick for long periods of time -- it just won't go away. I made Postcards last year, but now I want to play along with everyone.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Hope you feel better soon. Take it easy and give yourself time to recover.

Stitchin At Home said...

Get well soon! I haven't made a decision on the postcard quilt, and may be playing catchup myself.

Walkers Road Quilts said...

Is that a happy dance I hear at the end of your post? Out with the old. I could do with a bit of that here. I hope you are feeling well again soon.

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

When I read the first sentence of your post, I just thought you were being funny - that you had a fabric buying virus. Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Of course, I think you may have a participation virus for which there is no cure. :)

vaiybora said...

wow !!! it really beautiful so much.i like your good idea Thanks for the inspiration!

หนังสยองขวัญ

Nicole said...

Hope you're feeling better finally and wow, did you distract yourself from being ill! But new fabric is just so much fun.