Monday 20 February 2017

My Second Quilt

     It is a very sunny Monday and I did think I would have a completed Meadow Mystery top to share but I ran into difficulties with it...I'll explain it when I get it finished.  I won't be able to finish it by the end of the month because I will be in Savannah at Quilt Con. (I still can't believe this!)  It's very close to completion but I have to fix a block.



     Instead I will share my 2nd quilt top.  Lee Ann at Devoted quilter is hosting a link up for your first quilt.  My first quilt was made for my nephew Eric.  He's Charlotte's father and you can see the quilt I just made for her here.  I didn't take any pictures of the first quilt, and as Eric was a student at the time, the quilt ended up on the couch with the cats, I think it has gone to the great beyond.  Eric's quilt was made in a beginner quilting class at Greenwood Quiltery, which sadly is no more.  I think I made it about 11 years ago.

   A couple of years after I made Eric's quilt and with a few table runners under my belt I arranged for some friends to chip in for a quilting class for my friend Pauline who was interested in learning.  She of course wanted me to do the class with her so, I took my second beginner class and made this quilt here to go in my living room.




     I didn't finish the quilt because of course, it was for me.  Instead I went on to make quilts for both my kids and for a friend who had a baby and on and on.  I only got the top totally together in the last couple of years.  So now I have this top hanging around the sewing room, but hopefully not for long.  The completion of this quilt is going to be my OMG for March. Wish me luck!  I'm going to need it as I have to work up my tutorial for Stash bee for April when I'm the Queen Bee!  I'm linking up with My First Quilt at Devoted Quilter.

14 comments:

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

I really like that Leanne's link up inspired you to share and set this as your OMG goal for finishing. Safe travels!!

Sue said...

Hope you have a great time at Quiltcon Lisa!

Leanne Parsons said...

It's so hard to stay motivated to finish quilts for ourselves sometimes, isn't it? This quilt is so bright and cheerful, though, it definitely deserves a finish :) I'm glad you'll be working on it as your goal for next month. Good luck with getting it finished and thanks for linking up with me :)

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

It is such a shame it's not finished, but your quilting skills must have improved so much over 11 years it will have been worth the wait. I will think of you at QuiltCon while I am at a lesser known show in Harrogate England. Not quite so far to travel :-)

Jasmine said...

Such a cute quilt and a great goal to finish for you.

Preeti said...

First quilt and seams so neat? I am incredulous. I am sure you will complete it as soon as you get back from Savannah. Have fun at the Quiltcon.

Nicole said...

What a cheerful quilt Lisa! I hope you have a wonderful time at Quiltcon.

Little Black Cat Quilting said...

It's always so easy to let the quilts for us get put on the back burner, isn't it? How exciting to be getting it finished up! 😊 Have fun at QuiltCon!

Lena Pugacheva said...

What a sunny top! It looks so great in the sun in the first photo. Do take a picture of it against the sun to get the stained glass effect before you layer the sandwich ;)). Have a good time at QuiltCon and tell us all about it!

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

oh quiltcon, lucky you. That will be great fun. This is a great second first quilt, all your corners match too!

Sandra Walker said...

Okay I am not an orange and green person, but WOW! I do love this quilt! Love seeing the sun; I hear it's been pretty grey this winter, albeit nice and mild.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

This is a bright quilt. I love the colours. Hope you had fun at QuiltCon.

Pamela said...

This is striking! Not usually my colors, but I love this combination!

Patty said...

Great colors in the quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.