Wednesday 14 September 2016

2016 Cloud9 New Block Blog Hop

     Good morning everyone and welcome to my stop on the 2016 Cloud9 New Block Blog Hop.  I am super excited to be a part of this hop organized by Yvonne of Quilting Jet Girl, Cheryl of Meadow Mist Designs and today's host Stephanie of Late Night Quilter.  

     I've had a lot of fun trying out different block patterns over the last couple of weeks.   It seems I can dream them up and I can draw them, but I can't always make them or explain them, so in the end I settled on this simple but pretty block.

     I call this block Lucite Beads because the colours and shapes reminded me of  Lucite beads you see in vintage jewellery.





     Here's the block repeated in a quilt top. I played around on Quiltography to get an idea of what the block would look like in a quilt.  I like all the negative space incorporated in this design and I find the repeated blocks remind me of strands of beads in a necklace.




    

     Lucite Beads uses four of the fabrics included in the Cirrus Solids bundle Amazon (medium blue), Sky (light blue) Shadow (grey) and Lilac.

Cutting Instructions:

From the Shadow fabric cut:
                                             two 4" squares
                                             two 3" squares
                                             two 3 1/2 X 6 1/2" rectangles
                                             two 2 1/2 X 5 12" rectangles
                                             two 4 1/2 " squares
From the Amazon cut :
                                    one 4" square
                                    one 3"  square
From the Sky cut:
                            one 4 " square
From the Lilac cut:
                             one 3" square
                             one 2 1/2" square.


 Block Construction:

1. Pair one 4" square of Shadow  with the 4" square of Amazon and the other 4" square of Shadow with the 4" square of Sky.  With a non permanant fabric marker draw a diagonal line across the Shadow fabric going from one corner to its' opposite corner.  Sew 1/4" on either side of the line. 
Do this for both pairs.




2.  Cut on the diagonal line.  You will have 4 half square triangle blocks. Press the seams open and use a squaring up ruler to trim the blocks to 3 1/2".  Repeat for all four half square triangle  blocks.


     


3.  Pair one 3" square of Shadow with the 3" square of Amazon and the other 3" square of Shadow with the 3"square of Lilac. Repeat steps 1 and 2 above to make 4 half square triangle blocks, trimming the blocks to 2 1/2".  

4.  Line the half square triangle blocks up in rows like this:



5.  Sew the blocks together in rows, chain piecing as you go.  

6.  Sew rows one and two together and rows 3 and 4 together matching the centre seams.  This will make two blocks: a 6 1/2" square block with Amazon and Sky and a 
4 1/2"  square block with Amazon and Lilac.

7.   Arrange the blocks as in the photo below.  For row one place the two 3 1/2 by 6 1/2"  rectangles of Shadow on either side of the 6 1/2" block.  
For row two place the 2 1/2" by 5 1/2" rectangles of Shadow on either side of the 2 1/2" Lilac square. 
For row three place the 4 1/2" squares of Shadow on either side of the 4 1/2" block.


     

8.  Sew the block components into rows and then the rows together to make the Lucite Beads block.

     The Cirrus Solids are great fabrics to work with.  They have a nice subtleness to the colours and are soft to the touch.  They are a pleasure to work with and I'm sure I will use them again.

   Thank you for stopping by today I hope that you  check out the other bloggers who are participating in todays hop.  Here are the links to their blogs:

Kathy @Kathys Kwilts and More
Paige @Quilted Blooms
Mary @Strip Quilts Pass it On
Allison @Woodberry Way
Seven @The Concerned Craft
Olusola @Alice Samuel’s Quilt Co.
Ann @Brown Paws Quilting
Jodie @Persimmon + Pear
Vicki @Orchid Owl Quilts
Kitty @Night Quilter
Francine @Mochawildchild
Shelley @The Carpenter’s Daughter who Quilts
Jayne @Twiggy and Opal
Geraldine @Living Water Quilter
Shannon @Shannon Fraser Designs
Jessica @Quilty Habit
Cassandra @The (not so) Dramatic Life
Deanna @Stitches Quilting

Denise @Craft Traditions

   
     Here's to making dreams a reality.




33 comments:

Sue said...

Lovely block Lisa. I like the way you've varied the sizes of the hourglass sections.

Lena Pugacheva said...

A very interesting block, Lisa! It would also look great in a row quilt or as a border for a panel or an appliqué picture.

Tish Stemple said...

I love your block! I really love it in the quilt layout because I think the beads and the negative space could lead to some pretty creative quilting. It would even make for an interesting quilt border.

the zen quilter said...

I really love the name of this block, for one. But also the different sizes - it gives the block interest. Simple is sometimes best ya know. Great work, Lisa.

rosemaryschild said...

Very nice-love the different sizes & the color combinations you used! Thank you, Susan

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I love the way you played with size within your block, Lisa. I definitely agree that a quilt top would have a very string of beads feel to it (I might add even more negative space at the bottom and try changing out how many blocks I use in each column... hmmm...). Thank you so much for participating in the hop!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Great job! This is a great block.

Sarah@123quilt said...

The pattern DOES remind me of lucite beads, especially when strung out in a quilt top. I love that you had different sized "beads" in your block. It really gives added dimension. Great job, Lisa!

Jennifer said...

Great idea for a quilt and the block you created Lisa. Love the different sizes within the block.

Puppilalla said...

you were thinking of beads? I immediately thought 'Circus'. Your block somehow comes across as very whimsical =) I'd like to combine it with lions and elephants and make a baby quilt of it

Leanne Parsons said...

Very pretty block, Lisa! I really liked the sample layout you showed too :)

DebraKay Neiman said...

I love the possibilities with this one. Very lovely block. crystalbluern at tds dot net

Ann Petersen said...

I really like the quilt mock up. This would be a great quilt!

Amista Baker said...

Really great tutorial and block design! Love the way it looks in a quilt laying. Great job :)

Swedish Scrapper said...

I can see it! I have some old lucite beads from my Aunt Ruth. Amazing the geometric patterns they came up with.

Swedish Scrapper said...

I can see it! I have some old lucite beads from my Aunt Ruth. Amazing the geometric patterns they came up with.

Anonymous said...

You did a great job on your tutorial. The sample quilt is really fun. I wonder how the blocks would look on point?

GRANNYcanQUILT said...

I love simple linear blocks/quilts. This really works for me.

Rosa said...

The quilts is fantastic, an eye catching with the differents sizes of the blocks.Great job!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Really like this one Lisa, your description is perfect. I love strip quilts, this gives so much scope for FMQ. Wonderful.
Smiles
Kate

Kim S. @ Leland Ave Studios said...

Great block, Lisa! I love the way it looks when there are multiples all laid out together! Reminds me of stained glass!

Shannon said...

I love how you mixed up scale in this block, Lisa! Really well done!

Gypsy Moon Quilt Co. said...

This is a lovely block and it would look stunning as a quilt border too! Beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

Lisa- It amazes me that with all the bloggers designing blocks, they are all very different. These Cloud 9 colors are gorgeous together and the individual blocks are awesome. Can't wait to see the finished quilt!

Janice Holton said...

I really like your beaded necklace! The "beads" really do look like faceted jewels!

Karen said...

I may be showing my age, but your beads remind me of those beaded curtains that used to hang in doorways in my youth. Great pattern!

Mary said...

Lisa, I really like your beads block. It almost feels meditative. Take care, Mary.

Kaja said...

I like that you have mixed the scale in your block - it is shown off to best effect in your quiltography diagram. Are you planning to make the quilt?

Alice Samuel's Quilt Co said...

Very very cool Lisa. Well done 👏👏

Dena@LivingWaterQuilter.com said...

Nice! I like the cascading line of beads. I like the bead size variation too.

Cut&Alter said...

This is a gorgeous block Lisa and I love the name. It looks great in the mock up of a quilt top and the tutorial is clear and concise. Definitely on my ever growing to do list!!

Sandra Walker said...

Ooh! I love this Lisa! Love how it looks in a quilt and I already had an idea as to a variation! Also thank you for the Quiltography app...going to go get that puppy right now!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

This block really does look like vintage beads! Great job.