Wednesday 10 December 2014

Swooning Along

     I've made some progress on my Swoon Quilt and I'm really happy that I picked this project for my December finish.



     You can see that I've got the short sashing done between the blocks and one long sashing strip attached to the bottom of the top row.  This of course was the easy part.  Now I have to mark the seams on the back of the sashing to match them up with row two.  I'm waiting till I have time during the day later in the week for this.  I don't like having to think too hard when I sew in the evenings.  I was reading an article about the Pantone colour for 2015 and the article mentioned the colours for the last three years.  You can see by the tangerine in my blocks that I started this quilt in 2012.



     For evening sewing I've got this little project.  My larger traditional guild is having a show this Spring, and the small Modern Group which is a part of this guild is putting in a collection.  We are each making a "modern"  mini or wall hanging .  To have the collection fit together we decided to have everyone use a grey solid somewhere in their quilt.  I've been playing around with these improv pentagon blocks.




        I got the idea from a pillow top Susan posted on the Canadian Abroad blog.  Then I found the general directions in 15 minutes of play by Victoria Findley Wolfe. The blocks measure up at 6 1/2 inches and I've only got the two done so far. Not sure if I'll use them both in the quilt but I'm having lots of fun playing with my grey scraps!  I'm linking up with Lets Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts, to W.I.P. Wednesday at Freshly Pieced, and one day late to Scraptastic Tuesday at She Can Quilt where Leanne is working on similar blocks.
Seeing hers I can see how I can make mine better.  I think mine are a bit too square.






10 comments:

Unknown said...

Still fresh colours and it has been worth the wait from the looks of it, it looks great.

DianeLoves2Quilt said...

It is interesting to see you do traditional blocks (I consider the Swoon a classic-type block) and yet dabble in the modern. I am in the same boat, tentatively stepping into the modern arena, though not to a place where there is a lot of negative space. Your swoon blocks look so sharp and crisp they are very attractive. I too can identify with crafting in the evening. I like to do irreversible acts when I am fresh in the morning. Generally that one extra seam I sew or one extra row I knit at night will have a goof or not be very tidy.

Shelley said...

Love those scrappy improv log cabin blocks! Gives me more inspiration to tackle my scrap pile.

Maggie said...

Love the swoon blocks! Your modern blocks are quite nice too! I think the tangerine is still in!

Kaja said...

Your Swoon is looking and I really like your colours (I also kind of like the idea that in 50 years people might be dating our stuff by the fabrics we have used!) I like your scrappy blocks; you have a great range of greys in there.

Lorna McMahon said...

Love the Swoon progress shots. The tangerine is sweet! Those improv blocks are cute too!

Nicky said...

Great swoon blocks and the 15 minutes of play blocks are most certainly on my to do list ! Thanks for joining in the #scraptastictuesday link up!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Very nice work on the Swoon blocks, gorgeous colours too!

Catherine said...

I'm loving the colors of your Swoon blocks. The grey fabrics give it a really modern edginess. Have a fab Christmas.

Lisa J. said...

Thanks for all the comments.