Tuesday 18 November 2014

Toronto Modern Guild Projects

     I'm going through a period this fall where I have very little energy.  This is making it hard for me to sew, even harder to blog but I just finished a  couple of little projects so I thought I would share them.

     In September I decided to check out the Toronto Modern Quilt Guild.  I live more or less in between Toronto and London which both have Modern Guilds but I go to Toronto more as my daughter, my niece and my aunt all live there.  It was a fun meeting and they handed out fabrics and asked  each of us to complete a star block which would all be combined to make a quilt.   You can read more about this here.   I made this block.



     It's based on an Amish pattern which I found in a library book and I'm sorry I've forgotten which book it was.  I had fun playing with the negative space.  I'm thinking of making a mini quilt of this block .  It's 16" square.

      Of course I had to go back to the next meeting to hand in my block so I joined the guild.

     The next project which is due at the November meeting is to make a pouch which will be traded with members of the Victoria Modern Quilt Guild.  This is a bit of a stretch for me because I don't tend to make things with zippers and shape and such.   I found a free pattern on Craftsy called the No Guts Box Pouch by So Chick.  I decided that I better make a prototype first so I made this version which I will give to one of my friends.




     This was a fairly tricky project but it worked out pretty well.  I had some issues with the tabs but I'm confident I can improve that .  I'm going to make two more out of oriental fabrics and then a more modern one to send across the country.  I'm linking up with Let's Bee Social  at Sew Fresh Quilts.


    

1 comment:

Crafty Ashley B said...

That's such a pretty block! And thanks for sharing the name of that little bag. Might have to go get it now!